Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

RSF drone strike kills 40 civilians at Sudan funeral, official says

Smoke rises after a drone strike targeted a funeral gathering in al-Uwainat village, east of El Obeid, central North Kordofan state. on Nov 3, 2025

Smoke rises after a drone strike targeted a funeral gathering in al-Uwainat village, east of El Obeid, central North Kordofan state. on Nov 3, 2025 File photo

November 3, 2025 (EL OBEID) – At least 40 civilians were killed and dozens were injured on Monday after a drone strike by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) hit a funeral gathering in El Obeid, the capital of North Kordofan.

In recent months, El Obeid has served as a management centre for military operations in the Kordofan and Darfur regions. The city has been subjected to repeated aerial and artillery shelling by the RSF targeting civilian facilities, causing numerous civilian deaths.

The intensified attack on the North Kordofan capital coincides with large military build-ups by both sides in large parts of the Kordofan region, indicating the military situation in the area is heading towards further escalation.

The Humanitarian Aid Commissioner for North Kordofan, Mohamed Ismail, told Sudan Tribune, “Drones belonging to the RSF militia attacked citizens who were at a funeral, which led to the killing of 40 people and the injury of dozens.”

According to government estimates, El Obeid hosted nearly 20,000 displaced people last week. They fled the city of Bara and other areas shortly after the RSF seized control, where widespread violations, including killings, looting, arrests, and forced displacement, were reportedly committed.