Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

WFP truck attacked in Sudan’s North Darfur, driver seriously injured

WFP aid truck in Sudan (WFP photo)

WFP aid truck in Sudan, WFP photo.

December 6, 2025 (KHARTOUM) – A truck carrying food aid for the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) was attacked in North Darfur, seriously injuring the driver, the agency said on Saturday.

The incident occurred near the town of Hamra El Sheikh, where a convoy of 39 trucks attempted to deliver aid to Tawilah, a town hosting hundreds of thousands of displaced people.

According to the WFP, the truck had separated from the main movement to undergo repairs for mechanical problems when it was targeted. The attack destroyed the truck’s cabin and the driver required urgent medical evacuation to a hospital.

“The movement had been cleared for use by all parties to the conflict,” the WFP said in a statement, calling for an immediate investigation.

The convoy was more than halfway through a 1,000-kilometre journey along a critical supply route used by nearly 100 aid trucks a month to reach famine-stricken areas in Darfur.

The agency noted that this marks the sixth severe attack on WFP assets in Sudan in the past year. Eight humanitarian workers and partners have been killed in similar incidents.

The convoy was transporting food for some 700,000 people in Tawilah, many of whom had fled confirmed famine conditions in El Fasher and the Zamzam displacement camp.