RSF takes control of Abu Qamra, Ambara in North Darfur
December 24, 2025 (ABU QAMRA) – The Joint Force allied with the Sudanese army evacuated its defensive positions in the Abu Qamra and Ambara areas of North Darfur on Wednesday, allowing the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) to advance and seize both towns.
The move is part of broader manoeuvres aimed at extending influence over the last strongholds of army allies near the Sudanese-Chadian border.
The RSF’s push into the far northern regions of Darfur comes a day after Sudan Liberation Movement leader Minni Arko Minawi urged residents of the border areas with Chad to defend their lands against what he termed “invaders.”
His appeal followed the RSF’s deployment of unprecedented military reinforcements seeking to control areas inhabited by the Zaghawa ethnic group in the Tine, Ambara, and Karnoi localities.
Minawi’s call for citizens to arm themselves faced widespread rejection from political activists, who urged the Joint Force and the army not to involve civilians in armed conflicts.
A source within the Joint Force told Sudan Tribune the force withdrew from its positions in Ambara and Abu Qamra to avoid exposing civilians to harm.
The source said the RSF, supported by fighters from a faction of the Sudan Liberation Forces Alliance, seeks to control remote areas bordering Chad to secure a new supply line via the Tine crossing.
He expressed fears that the RSF and its allies might commit ethnically motivated violations against citizens under the pretext of their loyalty to the army.
Abu Qamra previously witnessed violent clashes in October after an unsuccessful RSF attack. Those clashes forced thousands of civilians to flee toward Chad.
In a statement, an RSF spokesperson said their forces had established full control over Abu Qamra and continued their advance to Ambara, claiming both have been “liberated.”
The spokesperson alleged these areas had seen systematic attacks by the army and Joint Force targeting tribal leaders and civilians.
He said the RSF’s primary duty is to protect civilians and end the presence of “armed pockets” of the army and rebel movements.
Throughout 2024, the RSF has faced accusations of carrying out retaliatory attacks on dozens of Zaghawa villages in North Darfur, leading to a massive wave of displacement.
