UN official says Sudan’s El Fasher is a ‘crime scene’
December 29 2025 (NEW YORK) – Traumatized civilians remaining in El Fasher following its capture by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) are living without water or sanitation in a city haunted by famine, the UN humanitarian coordinator for Sudan said on Monday.
Denise Brown, speaking after the first UN assessment mission to the North Darfur capital in nearly two years, described the city as a “ghost of its former self” and a “crime scene.”
The city, which once housed over a million people, fell to the paramilitary RSF in October following an 18-month siege. Mass atrocities, including massacres and sexual violence, reportedly accompanied the capture.
“These people are living in very precarious situations,” Brown told AFP in a video interview. “Some of them are in abandoned buildings… others in very rudimentary conditions with plastic sheeting, no sanitation, and no water.”
Brown characterized the city as the “epicentre of human suffering” in the Sudanese conflict. While tens of thousands have been displaced, an unknown number of civilians remain.
The UN official confirmed the city is still grappling with a “declared famine.” During the visit, which lasted a few hours and was conducted without a security escort, the team visited locations negotiated with the RSF, including the Saudi Hospital and five UN offices.
“The hospital building is still standing and has been cleaned, but there are no medical supplies,” Brown said. She added that while some medical staff were present, it was unclear if they were doctors or nurses, and the number of patients was small.
The mission’s movement was restricted to areas agreed upon with the RSF. Brown noted that while the team did not see any detainees, “we are confident there are detainees” held within the city.
Market conditions further highlighted the crisis. Brown described one small market selling produce in “very small bags,” indicating that residents can no longer afford standard quantities.
The war between the Sudanese army and the RSF, which began in April 2023, has killed tens of thousands and displaced over 11 million people. According to Brown, 128 humanitarian workers have been killed during the conflict.
Satellite imagery and testimonies have previously indicated the presence of suspected mass graves and summary executions in El Fasher, contributing to what the UN calls the “world’s worst humanitarian disaster.”
