U.S. advisor Boulos urges Sudan truce as Burhan vows to fight on
February 23, 2026 (WASHINGTON) – The U.S. Presidential Advisor for African and Arab Affairs, Massad Boulos, on Monday called on the warring parties in Sudan to accept an immediate humanitarian truce without preconditions.
Earlier on Monday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs responded to Boulos’s previously submitted proposals to resolve the country’s crisis, stating that Sudan would not accept any proposals that do not take into account the country’s supreme interests.
The head of the Sovereign Council, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, speaking at a graduation ceremony at Karary University on Monday evening, said, “We have no solutions but to proceed with the battle until its end, or the enemy surrenders and is eliminated.”
In a post on the X platform, Boulos urged the Sudanese parties to immediately accept a humanitarian truce, without preconditions, supported by a United Nations mechanism, to allow life-saving aid to reach civilians and create space for dialogue.
He emphasized that his country is working with its partners for a just and lasting peace, stressing the commitment to holding those responsible accountable and supporting a credible transition to a civilian government.
He added that the people of Sudan deserve security, dignity, and a future free from fear, and that the United States stands by them in their quest for the lasting peace they deserve.
Furthermore, the U.S. official pointed to the imposition of sanctions on three senior leaders of the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), whom he said were responsible for genocide, ethnic killing, torture, starvation, and horrific sexual violence in El Fasher, Sudan. He also noted restrictions placed on another commander involved in gross human rights violations.
He explained that these crimes have torn families apart, displaced entire communities, and worsened the suffering of the Sudanese people.
Boulos noted that these steps complement previous measures targeting actors associated with violations from all sides, including what he described as Islamist networks that he said have fueled instability.
He stressed that the United States will not tolerate these atrocities and other serious violations under any circumstances.
