Thursday, August 20, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

SPLM-N says army drone strike kills 17 in South Kordofan

SPLA-N fighter

A SPLA-N fighter sits with an anti-aircraft weapon near Jebel Kwo village in the rebel-held territory of the Nuba Mountains in South Kordofan, May 2, 2012. Reuters File photo

March 8, 2026 (DILLING) – The Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) led by Abdel Aziz al-Hilu on Sunday accused the Sudanese army of bombing positions under its control in the Nuba Mountains of South Kordofan, killing at least 17 civilians and wounding dozens more.

Areas surrounding the town of Dilling in South Kordofan state have seen increased military escalation as the army continues to repel attacks launched by an alliance between the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and the SPLM-N.

The alliance continues to target the state’s second-largest city with heavy artillery and drones, resulting in a high number of casualties and the destruction of several service facilities.

In a statement, the SPLM-N said that in a continuation of army crimes targeting civilians, at least 17 people, including women and children, were killed in a strike on the Mandari market in the village of Jald, Dilling County.

The statement said preliminary information showed the attack was carried out by a drone targeting the market while a large number of civilians were present.

It said the dead included eight women and six children, along with several elderly people, while others sustained various injuries and were taken to the hospital for treatment.

The SPLM-N, led by Abdel Aziz al-Hilu, controls large swathes of South Kordofan state.

In February last year, the movement announced an alliance with the RSF known as the Sudan Founding Alliance “Tasis”. Since then, the coalition has targeted areas in South Kordofan and the Blue Nile region in southeastern Sudan.