Sunday, August 23, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

Sudan army warns of unexploded ordnance after RSF drone strikes

An RSF drone strike hits an ammunition depot in Kosti, White Nile State, on March 9, 2026.

An RSF drone strike hits an ammunition depot in Kosti, White Nile State, on March 9, 2026.

March 10, 2026 (KOSTI) – Sudan’s army in White Nile State on Tuesday warned of the risks posed by unexploded ordnance in residential areas following a series of drone attacks by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

The RSF on Sunday and Monday launched drone strikes on neighbourhoods and student housing in the city of Kosti. The attacks followed the targeting of civilian infrastructure in nearby Rabak last week, which resulted in several civilian injuries.

The 18th Infantry Division said in a statement that “desperate attempts by the rebel militia to target urban areas and civilian objects” had left unexploded projectiles within residential quarters.

Military authorities urged residents across White Nile State to immediately report any suspicious objects found in their neighbourhoods via an emergency hotline.

The statement told residents to remain vigilant and to continue attempting to call if emergency lines were busy.

The White Nile crisis management media committee condemned the continued targeting of civilians in Kosti. It said specialized units were taking measures to enhance public safety following the aerial strikes.

The executive director of Kosti locality has banned cultural gatherings and public events. The move follows repeated RSF attempts to target key sites and civilian landmarks in the city.

The RSF has intensified its use of drones in the North and South Kordofan and Blue Nile regions after its ground offensives to capture new cities stalled.