Beijing signals readiness to back Sudan post-war reconstruction
March 15, 2026 (PORT SUDAN) – China has integrated proposals to assist Sudan with its post-war reconstruction into its official foreign policy framework, Beijing’s acting envoy said on Sunday.
Xu Jian, China’s acting chargé d’affaires in Sudan, told a press briefing in the eastern city of Port Sudan that Beijing is “ready to contribute to the reconstruction of what was destroyed by the war.”
The diplomat said the Chinese government has formally included these proposals for contributions in its foreign policy agenda for the upcoming period. He noted that a recent visit to the capital, Khartoum, demonstrated the government’s commitment to rebuilding the state and the country as a whole.
Sudan’s infrastructure has faced catastrophic damage since the conflict began on April 15, 2023. Major cities, including Khartoum, have seen the widespread destruction of water, electricity, and health facilities, as well as factories and agricultural projects.
The Sudanese army regained control of Khartoum in March 2025 and eventually secured the entire state by May. Since then, the government has attempted to restore basic services to the capital, where more than a million displaced people have returned after fleeing the Rapid Support Forces.
Xu emphasized that Sudan’s unity and territorial integrity remain a priority for China, noting that bilateral relations continue to develop. He praised the government’s efforts to maintain national unity against threats stemming from the prolonged conflict.
The envoy added that China remains eager to implement a range of economic projects to develop Sudan’s infrastructure and support long-term national growth.
