Sunday, August 23, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

Burhan visits Saudi Arabia, Oman amid pressure for Sudan roadmap

Sudan's Sovereign Council Chairman received by Omani Sultan on April 21, 2026

Sudan's Sovereign Council Chairman received by Omani Sultan on April 21, 2026

April 22, 2026 (KHARTOUM) – Informed sources told Sudan Tribune the details behind a surprise tour by the President of the Sovereignty Council and Commander-in-Chief of the Army, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, to Saudi Arabia and the Sultanate of Oman.

The diplomatic manoeuvres follow a recent conference in Berlin. Sources said the visits were in response to a request from Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi to push the Sudanese government toward accepting an international roadmap.

The visits coincided with a surge in diplomatic activity regarding Sudan. Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi met with Massad Boulos, the U.S. presidential advisor for African and Arabian affairs, in Cairo on Monday.

An Egyptian presidential spokesperson said the meeting addressed developments in Sudan. Both parties emphasized the need to end the war and stop the suffering of the Sudanese people.

Sisi welcomed an international pledge of 1.5 billion euros made at the Berlin conference to address humanitarian needs in Sudan.

The spokesperson said Sisi emphasized Egypt’s vision for the crisis, which is based on ensuring Sudan’s sovereignty and unity and rejecting foreign interference. Egypt is active within the Quartet mechanism to launch a political path toward a sustainable, peaceful solution.

Boulos recently stated that Berlin represents the “last station” in international efforts. He confirmed Donald Trump’s personal interest in ending the conflict, which was interpreted as a signal that Sudanese parties have limited time before Washington considers stricter alternatives.

Former Sudanese diplomat Al-Sadiq al-Magly told Sudan Tribune that the visits were in response to requests from bin Salman and Sisi. He noted the timing aligned with the Sisi-Boulos meeting and followed Saudi participation in the Berlin conference.

Al-Magly said both leaders are trying in these “final meters” of international efforts to resolve the conflict.

He pointed out that these visits follow Boulos’s statements that Trump is focused on stopping the war. Al-Magly stated that Berlin is the final stop in regional and international efforts to solve the crisis.

Al-Magly said the warring parties have no option left but to implement the truce proposed by the Quartet and accept its roadmap without preconditions.

The movements bring the “Jeddah platform” back into focus. It had been frozen for long periods due to army conditions requiring the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) to exit civilian sites and homes and withdraw from cities before starting any political negotiations.

Reliable sources told Sudan Tribune that extensive discussions took place between al-Burhan and Mohammed bin Salman regarding the Saudi-American initiative to stop the war.

Al-Burhan concluded a one-day visit to Jeddah on Monday, where he met with the Saudi Crown Prince.

Sources said the unannounced visit took place amid diplomatic efforts between Riyadh and Washington to arrange high-level negotiations between the army and the RSF.

The visit discussed proposals to establish relief corridors through the Adre border crossing with Chad and other crossings to reach an effective truce.

The meeting addressed the possibility of transitioning to local truces in major cities, specifically El Fasher, El Obeid, and the Blue Nile region.

The visit also discussed securing maritime corridors and Red Sea security following the repercussions of the U.S.-Israeli war on Iran, as well as Saudi ports receiving humanitarian aid for the Sudanese people.

The Sovereign Council’s media office officially stated that the talks between al-Burhan and bin Salman focused on coordinating on regional issues.

The meeting also addressed security and stability in the Red Sea.

African officials and Western diplomats told Sudan Tribune on the sidelines of the 39th African Summit about an undeclared deadline for the Sudanese parties to reach a humanitarian truce by June.

The final statement of the summit called for an immediate and unconditional cessation of hostilities and the start of a humanitarian truce to ensure aid reaches affected and besieged areas.