Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

Sudan’s Empowerment Removal Committee to target Islamic Movement-linked assets abroad

Empowerment removal comittee members pose with former Prime Minister Hamdok, file photo

April 24, 2026 (KHARTOUM) – Sudan’s Empowerment Removal Committee vowed on Friday to pursue companies, organizations, and diplomats linked to the Islamic Movement through international institutions, following the group’s recent designation as a terrorist entity.

The Committee for Dismantling the June 30, 1989 Regime announced it resumed operations on March 17. The move followed a decision by the United States to designate the Muslim Brotherhood-linked Islamic Movement as a terrorist organization.

Army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan had frozen the committee’s activities after his October 2021 coup against the government of former Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok.

Committee head Mohamed al-Faki Suleiman said in the first briefing since its return that the body has undergone restructuring to facilitate operations from outside Sudan. He noted that the committee is coordinating with international partners to track looted funds and identify Islamist presence within state institutions.

Suleiman stated that elements of the former regime had transferred assets abroad to allied countries. He added that the committee continued to gather and analyze data throughout the post-coup period, maintaining a vast archive of leaders from the dissolved National Congress Party.

Committee rapporteur Salah Manna pledged to sever the Islamic Movement’s financial supply lines and those of its charitable fronts. He warned that individuals or entities dealing with the group now face legal consequences under its new terrorist designation.

Manna said the committee would collaborate with global institutions to monitor the movement’s assets, claiming that corruption during the war and post-coup period is on a scale equal to that seen during Omar al-Bashir’s 30-year rule.

He warned that commercial or logistical dealings with the movement could result in asset seizures and imprisonment. He urged foreign banks to refrain from transactions that support the war or are linked to the Islamic Movement, noting that several cases are currently under verification.

Spokesman Wagdi Salih cautioned against purchasing assets or shares owned by members of the former regime. He said the committee is tracking attempts by companies to re-establish themselves under new names outside the country.

Salih noted that 109 diplomats previously dismissed by the committee returned to service following the coup. He stated the committee has identified 127 diplomats linked to the Islamic Movement and is in contact with the countries where they are currently stationed.