Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

Sudan prosecutor orders swift conclusion of war crimes investigations

An RSF officer questions a civilian in El Fasher, in this image from a video circulated online by RSF members, August 17, 2025. The civilian was executed moments later.

An RSF officer questions a civilian in El Fasher, in this image from a video circulated online by RSF members, August 17, 2025. The civilian was executed moments later.

May 14, 2026 (KHARTOUM) – Sudan’s public prosecutor ordered on Thursday the completion of investigations into crimes committed in areas affected by the ongoing military conflict, the prosecution office said.

The National Committee for the Investigation of Crimes and Violations of National Law and International Humanitarian Law held its first meeting at its permanent headquarters at the Khartoum State Public Prosecution office.

The meeting was chaired by Attorney General and committee head Intisar Ahmed Abdel Aal, with the senior assistant attorney general and committee members in attendance.

The public prosecution said in a statement that the attorney general emphasized the need to conclude investigations into abuses against civilians in war-affected zones to bring perpetrators to justice.

The committee reviewed its operational progress, periodic reports, and mechanisms to enhance efficiency following the relocation of its permanent headquarters to Khartoum State.

Abdel Aal stressed the importance of accelerating the execution of planned programs to meet the committee’s objectives.

The prosecution stated that the meeting aligns with efforts to document and investigate violations under national and international humanitarian laws, aiming to uphold accountability and prevent impunity.

The national war crimes committee previously disclosed that approximately 12,400 criminal complaints have been registered against members of the Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

The paramilitary group has been accused of war crimes, crimes against humanity, ethnic cleansing, sexual violence, looting, and forced displacement across Khartoum, Al Jazirah, White Nile, Blue Nile, Sennar, Darfur, and Kordofan.

Dozens of RSF leaders, including commander Mohamed Hamdan Daglo and his brothers Abdel Rahim and Al-Qoni Daglo, face trial in absentia on charges of waging war against the state, undermining the constitutional order, and committing war crimes.