Darfur governor condemns international silence after RSF attacks burn villages
June 14, 2026 (UM BARU) – Several villages in the Um Baru locality of North Darfur state came under violent attack on Sunday, with local officials accusing the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) of launching the assault.
The attack on the villages in the far northwestern part of the state prompted strong condemnation from Darfur Regional Governor Minni Arko Minawi, who criticized what he termed international silence over ongoing violence in the region.
The latest offensive targets an area previously hit by similar destructive raids that forced thousands of residents to flee across the border into neighbouring Chad.
Abubakr Al-Imam, a spokesperson for the local popular resistance in North Darfur, said in a statement that RSF forces launched a surprise morning assault on the Orshi area and surrounding villages near the Orshi reservoir.
The attacking force utilized four-wheel-drive military vehicles alongside a large number of fighters on horses and camels, launching a widespread assault on civilians and their property, according to Al-Imam.
The raid resulted in the looting and burning of eight villages near the reservoir, including Orshi, Eni, Al-Salam, Qit’a, Singori, and Hajak.
Al-Imam said initial reports confirmed the deaths of five residents. He added that a definitive casualty toll remained difficult to establish due to ongoing security risks and limited access to the affected areas.
The attack caused extensive destruction to local infrastructure. Assailants stormed the Orshi market, plundering its goods before setting it on fire, Al-Imam said. Large numbers of livestock and essential household supplies were also stolen and transported out of the area.
Governor Minawi called on the international community and human rights organizations to take urgent action to protect civilians and halt the attacks.
In a statement posted on social media, Minawi confirmed the destruction of the villages and the total burning of the Orshi market, describing the ongoing violence, forced displacement, and destruction in Darfur as one of the gravest humanitarian tragedies in Sudan’s modern history.
Minawi added that the international community’s failure to take decisive steps to stop the violations or hold perpetrators and their backers accountable remains unjustified.
