Sudan documents 2,200 rapes and 31,000 killings during conflict, attorney general says
June 15, 2026 (GENEVA) – A Sudanese national investigative committee has documented 2,200 cases of rape and nearly 31,000 killings since the conflict began, Sudan’s Attorney General Entisar Ahmed Abdel Aal said on Monday.
Abdel Aal, who chairs the National Committee for Investigating Crimes and Violations of National and International Humanitarian Law, presented the findings from the committee’s fifth progress report to the United Nations Human Rights Council.
The committee has registered 149,860 criminal complaints, including 385 cases against regular forces personnel whose immunity was lifted. Investigations have been completed for 21,787 cases referred to national courts, with 10,417 adjudicated so far.
According to the report, the investigative body has documented 2,200 rape cases, 14,999 cases of detention and enforced disappearance, 30,971 killings, and 44,617 injuries. Economic losses resulting from infrastructure destruction are estimated at $771 billion.
The national committee was established in August 2023 by the head of the Sovereign Council and army commander, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, to investigate violations. Its mandate was later expanded to cover all crimes committed during the conflict.
Abdel Aal said the committee operates with complete independence and in coordination with judicial authorities. She stated that the documented patterns of violations committed by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) against civilians and infrastructure amount to war crimes, crimes against humanity, and genocide.
The findings detailed ethnically motivated targeting of civilians, forced displacement, looting, and abuses committed in detention facilities, specifically naming Shallah and Daqrees prisons.
The RSF holds approximately 20,000 people in Daqrees prison near Nyala in South Darfur, according to government statistics. In Shallah prison in El Fasher, North Darfur, the RSF detains 881 military prisoners and 407 civilians, including 113 children.
The attorney general affirmed the Sudanese government’s commitment to accountability and its readiness to cooperate professionally with U.N. Human Rights Council mechanisms that have the government’s consent, provided that Sudan’s sovereignty and the jurisdiction of its national institutions are respected.
Abdel Aal called on the international community to support the government’s initiative to end the war and to back domestic justice efforts.
She also urged international action to halt external support for the RSF from its primary sponsor, the United Arab Emirates, and to prevent the recruitment and transport of mercenaries into Sudan. She emphasized that cutting off foreign assistance is essential to ending the conflict.
The UAE continues to provide military equipment, including drones, to the RSF via flights landing at Nyala airport and overland supply routes through Ethiopia, Libya, and Chad.
Abu Dhabi has denied these allegations, despite mounting evidence published by international organizations.
