Sudan rejects US conditions for debt relief, slams Washington’s policies
February 20, 2012 (KHARTOUM) – The Sudanese government on Monday rejected the conditions attached by the United States to cancelling all of Khartoum’s $2.4 billion debt owed to it.

Khartoum must also satisfy US Congress requirements including upholding human rights and fighting terrorism.
Haj Magid Siwar, the head of the political mobilization bureau at the ruling National Congress Party (NCP) in Khartoum, said his government does not accept the US calling for allowing aid groups into rebel-held areas in South Kordofan and Blue Nile in return for debt relief.
He said that Washington has been dealing with Khartoum in a lot of “fooling” which led to the Sudanese government not trusting any of the promises put forward by successive US administrations on lifting economic sanctions and removing the country from the list of states that sponsor terrorism.
Siwar downplayed visits by US officials to Khartoum including congressmen saying it is not new for US administrations “which disclaims all its political and ethical obligations”.
“If America is willing to improve relations with Sudan then we are more willing but we will not respond to lobby pressures and lobby groups” he said.
Last week, the Sudanese foreign minister Ali Karti said his country’s relations with the US are not able to progress because of divide between the administration and lobby groups.
Karti stressed that Obama has adopted a policy seeking normalisation with Sudan but pointed out that US advocacy and lobby groups which harbour enmity towards Khartoum are actively working to undermine the administration’s approach.
(ST)