Flood displaces over 12,000 in Jonglei state
March 31, 2013 (BOR) – Over 12,000 people have been displaced by floods that resulted from heavy rains in various parts of South Sudan’s Jonglei state, an official told Sudan Tribune.

He said the rise in water levels from the Nile River and unrepaired dyke in the area, mainly caused the heavy flooding.
“The threat is even worse this year because the flood water at the dyke is still at 1.5 to 2 meters high and the forthcoming rains, a month away, will exacerbate the current situation”, the commissioner said Saturday.
Akoi, in a message extended to Sudan Tribune, urged residents, humanitarian agencies and well wishers, to support current initiatives to repair the dyke, in order to avert impending flood-related crisis.
Last year, a dyke under repair broke, instantly a person near Nyuak payam, prompting state authorities to step up efforts to have it repaired.
Since then, the Lutheran World Federation (LWF), the state and the community have launched a fund-raising campaign, seeking to mobilise money to renovate the facility. LWF has reportedly contributed up to 55% of the much-needed funds.
(ST).
