US president Obama warns of action if peace fails in South Sudan
August 5, 2015 (WASHINGTON) – United States president, Barrack Obama, has warned of measures against warring parties in South Sudan should they fail to sign a peace agreement and end the 20-month long civil war in the country.

“If they miss that target then I think it is going to be necessary for us to move forward with a different plan, and recognize that those leaders are incapable of creating the peace that is required,” president Obama in strong-worded comment said on Wednesday in the White House.
The leader of the world’s most powerful nation did not however specify what type of action he wanted to take place if the two warring parties fail to strike a final deal in two weeks’ time. However, sanctions including travel ban, assets freeze and arms embargo were among the measures the UN had already designated for action.
President Obama on his recent tour to two East African nations of Kenya and Ethiopia urged the leaders of the two countries to lead a regional sanction that will likely be imposed on party or parties seen to be blocking the progress of reaching a final peace agreement.
Obama said president Salva Kiir and his former vice president, now opposition leader Riek Machar had squandered the hope South Sudan had when the nation became independent in 2011 through assistance of the US administration.
The two parties are given until 6 August to submit to IGAD-Plus results of their respective consultations with their constituencies and until 17 August to sign a final peace deal.
(ST)