Sudan’s army chief expects new sanctions, pledges to press offensive
August 21, 2026 (AL MANAGIL, Al Jazirah) – Sudan’s military leader Abdel Fattah al-Burhan said on Friday he expects foreign adversaries to impose fresh sanctions on him and the country soon, but vowed that international pressure would not halt the army’s campaign to defeat the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF).
Speaking to worshippers at a mosque in the central town of Al Managil in Al Jazirah state, Burhan said any new punitive measures would fail to break the country’s resolve or force the military to back down.
The United States began enforcing additional sanctions on Sudan on July 20 over allegations that the military used chemical weapons during the war. Sudan’s foreign ministry has denied the claims and said it is ready to cooperate with international chemical weapons inspectors.
While Washington, Britain and the European Union have previously slapped sanctions on companies and commanders tied to both warring sides, they have so far stopped short of directly penalising Burhan or RSF leader Mohamed Hamdan Daglo.
Burhan told the crowd that the army plans to expand its offensive from Al Managil across the country, aiming to push troops toward El Geneina, Um Dafaq, and El Fasher in the western Darfur region, as well as Kurmuk near the southeastern border.
He also announced plans to build an airstrip, a military base and local roads in Al Managil, praising residents for funding their own supplies and aiding government troops fighting the RSF in Gezira.
His speech came as the military said it had completed the integration of fighters who had recently defected from the RSF into the army’s ranks.
