16 Sudanese nationals killed in South Sudan riots
January 20, 2025 (JUBA)- South Sudanese police reported on Monday that 16 Sudanese nationals were killed in unrest last week sparked by allegations of the killing of South Sudanese people in Sudan’s Al Jazirah state.
The riots erupted in South Sudan’s capital, Juba, and other parts of the country on Thursday and Friday, with demonstrators expressing anger over the alleged involvement of the Sudanese army and allied groups in the killings in Al Jazirah.
The Sudanese army condemned what it called “individual violations” in Al Jazirah state after human rights groups accused it and its allies of ethnically motivated attacks on people accused of supporting the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) fighting the Sudanese army.
“Sixteen Sudanese nationals have been reported killed in four states,” South Sudan’s national police said in a statement carried by Reuters.
The statement added that police would continue to patrol markets and residential areas to protect Sudanese nationals.
The government imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew on Friday, which remains in effect.
In a separate statement, the South Sudanese army said at least 24 suspects had been arrested and would be charged once investigations were completed.
