Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

South Sudan orders temporary ban on social media

President Salva Kiir signs the Compact on Water and Sanitation in Juba, June 3, 2024 (PPU photo)

January 22, 2025 (JUBA) – The Government of South Sudan government has ordered a temporary shutdown of social media sites such as Facebook and TikTok within the country.

The National Communications Authority (NCA) on Wednesday directed telecoms to block access to social media for at least 30 days, a move that has attracted widespread criticisms from the public.

The regulatory body said the social media ban seeks to limit the spread of violent content, citing the recent dissemination of content about the violence meted against South Sudanese in Sudan.

“The contents depicted violate our local laws and pose a significant threat to public safety and mental health,” NCA said on Wednesday.

According to NCA, the contents such as videos depicted brutal attacks on women and children, adding that it invoked Sections 9(g)(i) and 34(6) of the National Communication Act of 2012.

The temporary ban, which could be extended to up to 90 days, seeks to protect the public, it stated.

“This directive may be lifted as soon as the situation is contained,” the regulator said in a statement.

Critics and activists have described the move as a violation of the rights to freedom of expression.

Earlier this week, the Chairperson of the African Union Commission, Moussa Faki Mahamat condemned the killing of South Sudanese nationals in Sudan, calling for immediate restraint.

(ST)