Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

Sudanese army, allies destroy RSF convoy near El Fasher

Members of the Joint Force watch an airstrike on RSF supply vehicles near El Fasher, Sudan, on Feb. 27, 2025

Members of the Joint Force watch an airstrike on RSF supply vehicles near El Fasher, Sudan, on Feb. 27, 2025

February 28, 2025 (EL FASHER) – The Sudanese army and allied forces said they destroyed a large Rapid Support Forces (RSF) military supply convoy late on Thursday, preventing it from reaching El Fasher, the capital of North Darfur state.

Military operations between the army, along with allied armed movements, and the RSF have escalated sharply in El Fasher, as the RSF seeks to capture the last major central government stronghold in Darfur.

The army’s 6th Infantry Division in El Fasher said in a statement seen by Sudan Tribune that its forces, and those of the joint force, destroyed 12 trucks overnight. The trucks were carrying howitzer shells, Bofors (Dalil) guns, and a large number of mobilized RSF fighters from South and East Darfur states who intended to attack El Fasher, it said.

A joint force spokesperson, Ahmed Hussein Mustafa, said in a separate statement that the convoy’s destruction followed several days of precise intelligence gathering that began when the convoy entered Sudanese territory.

The spokesperson’s statement said that the convoy included approximately 10,000 rounds of ” Bofors 40 mm” artillery shells, 12,000 howitzer shells, and large quantities of rockets and assorted ammunition.

A significant number of fighters, including foreign mercenaries accompanying the convoy, were “neutralized,” Mustafa added. He said the seized supplies had been used in indiscriminate shelling targeting El Fasher and Omdurman neighbourhoods, as well as displaced persons camps.

Military sources, speaking to Sudan Tribune on condition of anonymity, said the RSF supply convoy had departed from Nyala in the middle of the week, passing through Khazan Jadeed, Wada’ah, and other areas southeast of El Fasher before being destroyed in Ad al-Bayd.

Army warplanes actively participated in the operation, along with infantry units from the joint force and the army, the sources added.

Social media accounts affiliated with the joint force posted video footage showing several large trucks ablaze.

On Nov. 21, the joint force seized a shipment of heavy weapons and killed Colombian mercenaries reportedly planning to reach El Fasher. Last December, the force destroyed combat vehicles and trucks carrying drones in the tri-border area between Sudan, Chad, and Libya.

The United Arab Emirates has been accused of supplying military aid to the RSF, with the support reportedly transported via Amdjarass airport in Chad and then smuggled into Sudan.