Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

RSF reportedly retreating from Khartoum neighbourhoods amid army advances

RSF elements flee Khartoum to Drfur hough Jebel Aulia on March 25, 2025

RSF elements flee Khartoum to Drfur hough Jebel Aulia on March 25, 2025

March 25, 2025 (KHARTOUM) – Activists reported on Tuesday large-scale withdrawals of Rapid Support Forces (RSF) fighters from various neighbourhoods in the capital, Khartoum, towards the Jebel Aulia bridge in the far south of the city. The bridge was reportedly experiencing heavy traffic of military and civilian vehicles.

The withdrawal coincides with significant advances by the Sudanese army, which last week took control of central Khartoum, including the Presidential Palace, key ministry headquarters, and the capital’s commercial district.

Emergency committees in the Gereif West, Burri, Sahafat and Kalakla neighbourhoods announced these areas were clear of RSF elements after fighters began leaving late Monday night, heading towards Jebel Aulia, south of Khartoum.

A resistance committee in the Barari area, east of Khartoum, stated the neighbourhood was now free of the RSF. The Burari Emergency Room posted on Facebook on Tuesday: “Burari is free of Janjaweed militias.”

It published a video clip showing celebrations by remaining residents in Market 4 of the Barari area, announcing the departure of RSF elements after nearly two years since the conflict began.

Since the start of the war in April 2023, neighbourhoods east of the army’s General Command have been sites of military operations, with heavy RSF deployments as part of efforts to besiege the army headquarters.

Activists posted videos on social media showing several Khartoum neighbourhoods apparently empty of RSF fighters, amid calls for the army and security forces to secure the areas and combat widespread lawlessness.

The RSF could not immediately be reached for comment.

Meanwhile, the spokesperson for the Southern Belt Emergency Room, Ahmed Farouk, said dozens of RSF soldiers had fled from areas including Salama, Azhari, Ad Hussein, and Mayo towards Jebel Aulia, after heavy army shelling late Monday and early Tuesday.

Farouk told Sudan Tribune the area was experiencing cautious calm, with streets deserted and residents anxious about the coming hours.

He said transportation to and from Khartoum’s Central Market had stopped entirely, and movement within neighbourhoods had also ceased, while shops and local markets were closed.

Farouk said that according to reports and the committee’s monitoring, the army was prepared to enter the southern belt area from three axes and then move towards the Jebel Aulia area, which he described as the only remaining westward exit from Khartoum for the RSF.

He also reported daily looting of homes in the eastern and western sectors of the area, carried out by RSF elements and criminal groups exploiting the lack of security.