Sudanese army sizes key camp, bridges in major Khartoum advance
March 26, 2025 (KHARTOUM) – The Sudanese army took control of military and civilian sites and vast areas across the capital Khartoum from the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) on Wednesday in its largest ground offensive yet, the military said, moving closer to potentially declaring the capital free of the paramilitary group.
Since early Wednesday morning, the army has advanced into various areas of the capital. According to military statements and witnesses, it secured full control of the Soba bridge linking eastern and southern Khartoum and the Manshiya bridge connecting East Nile neighbourhoods with central Khartoum. Fierce clashes were ongoing near the Jebel Aulia bridge, the last main exit route for the RSF heading south.
The army gained control over most of the Jebel Aulia locality, where allied Sudan Shield Forces and a General Intelligence Service (GIS) unit were still heavily fighting against RSF forces near the Jebel Aulia bridge.
“The army took over the militia’s camp in Tayba al-Hasnab, Jebel Aulia locality,” Sudanese Army Spokesperson Brigadier General Nabil Abdullah said in a statement.
The camp was a major RSF site in the capital and had been frequently bombed by the army since the conflict began in April 2023.
The spokesperson described the camp as the last stronghold of the “Daglo militia” in central Sudan and their last stronghold in Khartoum.
He said the remaining RSF presence consisted of “just pockets” that would be “eliminated soon.”
The army deployed along several strategic roads and areas, including major thoroughfares like Street 60 and the Sahafa area, after removing RSF checkpoints, the military and residents said. Control also extended from Khartoum International Airport towards the central district known as the Chinese area.
Soldiers from the Armoured Corps took control of the central bus station (Land Port) and the Nuzha and Sahafat neighbourhoods. A mobile unit from the General Command secured the Telecommunications Tower and the western entrance of the Manshiya bridge.
Activists posted videos on social media showing army deployments, while residents in some areas emerged to celebrate and welcome soldiers.
Meanwhile, army-affiliated platforms published drone footage showing large numbers of what appeared to be RSF fighters and their families crossing the Jebel Aulia bridge on foot from Khartoum towards Omdurman.
The spokesperson added that the army, Central Reserve Police and supporting forces advanced in eastern Khartoum, “clearing” the 1st Mechanized Infantry Brigade headquarters in Al-Bagair and inflicting heavy losses on what he called the “Dagalo terrorist militia.”
The Al-Bagair camp, located in the far south of Khartoum near the border with Gezira state, was one of the first sites of fierce clashes early in the war, before the RSF captured the base, which held tanks and armoured vehicles.
Since Monday, RSF elements have been withdrawing from various neighbourhoods in the capital. The withdrawing forces face accusations from residents and rights groups of widespread violations against civilians, including killings, looting, and rape.
