Sudanese army says it downed RSF drones in Northern state
July 1, 2025 (MEROWE) – Sudan’s army said its air defences shot down drones launched by the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) over the northern cities of Merowe and Al-Dabbah late on Monday and early Tuesday.
The army’s 19th Infantry Division in Merowe, located in the Northern State, said in a statement that its ground defences had intercepted “suicide drones” in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
The statement said the drones had attempted to attack the division’s headquarters, about 400 km (250 miles) north of the capital Khartoum, and added that its forces were on “high alert” to secure the state.
In the nearby city of Al-Dabbah, witnesses reported hearing drones overhead late on Monday night, followed by heavy anti-aircraft fire from the army.
The incident is the latest in a series of drone attacks targeting the Northern State, a region that has largely been spared the ground warfare seen in other parts of Sudan. Previous strikes have targeted army positions and critical infrastructure, including two attacks on the central power station at the Merowe Dam.
Reports have suggested the army recently upgraded its defences around military sites and infrastructure with jamming equipment and more advanced anti-aircraft systems to counter the drone threat.
The RSF has a significant presence to the west of the Northern State’s main cities, having previously taken control of the Owaynat border triangle between Sudan, Libya, and Egypt, along with other areas in the far northwest.
In response to the growing threat, authorities in the Northern State have enacted emergency security measures, including the establishment of special courts and the imposition of restrictions on civilian movement in certain areas, such as a ban on fishermen staying overnight on the western bank of the Nile.
