Sudan’s Darfur governor denies minister nominee’s exclusion after vetting reports
July 13, 2025 (PORT SUDAN) – Darfur Governor Minni Arko Minawi on Sunday affirmed his commitment to his movement’s nominee for the Ministry of Mining, denying reports that the candidate had been excluded during a security vetting process.
Social media reports in recent days suggested Noor Al-Daim Taha, the nominee from Minawi’s Sudan Liberation Movement (SLM), had been rejected. Security authorities have not publicly announced reasons for any reservations.
“We do not have rejected nominees, because they are patriots who work for the nation, and there is no crisis concerning them,” Minawi told reporters, addressing questions about delays in government formation.
He clarified that the Prime Minister had not yet appointed all ministers, including those nominated by armed movements, indicating that these groups were not responsible for the delay in filling cabinet positions.
The peace agreement signed in October 2020 granted Darfurian movements 25% of executive power positions, and armed groups have insisted on maintaining this share in the new government.
Prime Minister Kamal Idris has so far appointed nine ministers and is expected to complete his 22-member cabinet in the coming period.
Political developments and regional mediation
The political committee of the Freedom and Change Coalition – Democratic Bloc held a meeting in Port Sudan on Sunday to discuss political developments and the on-ground situation.
Mohamed Zakaria, spokesperson for the bloc, told reporters the meeting “discussed efforts to form the government, reaffirmed its support for the Prime Minister while adhering to the civilian democratic transition, and emphasized the importance of achieving comprehensive national consensus through inclusive dialogue.”
He added that international intervention contributed to the outbreak of the current conflict, stressing that local forces should propose a roadmap to end the war. Zakaria also emphasized the importance of defining the conflict as the Rapid Support Forces’ (RSF) rebellion against the Sudanese state.
The spokesperson praised the efforts of the United States, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt in seeking to end the conflict, but stated that the United Arab Emirates was not suitable to mediate or play a role in achieving peace at this time.
The Sudanese government says it possesses reliable evidence proving the UAE’s involvement in supporting and supplying the RSF with advanced weapons and military equipment. These claims are reinforced by reports from international and human rights organizations.
