Sudan’s Joint Force denies looting claims, blames smear campaign
July 20, 2025 (KHARTOUM ) – The spokesperson for Sudan’s Joint Force, an alliance of armed groups allied with the army, on Sunday denied accusations that his troops were involved in looting and spreading chaos in the capital, Khartoum, blaming the claims on unnamed parties running a “smear campaign.”
The Joint Force has faced accusations of looting as the government struggles to restore security in the war-torn capital.
“There are parties seeking to tarnish the image of the Joint Force by claiming it is causing chaos in Khartoum,” spokesperson Ahmed Hussein Mustafa told the Sudan Tribune. He insisted these parties have ulterior motives “in their constant attempts to stab the Joint Force in the back.”
As a defence of his force’s integrity, Mustafa highlighted its past contributions, noting that his troops had “moved under landmines” to help the army recapture the strategic al-Jaili oil refinery north of Khartoum.
The accusations come as a military committee, formed by army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, is implementing a plan to clear Khartoum of all armed groups within two weeks, beginning July 18. The Joint Force’s top supervisor, who also serves as the governor of the Darfur region, said on Sunday that he had not been formally notified of the decision.
The Joint Force command in Khartoum is estimated to consist of three battalions.
To counter the negative image, the force on Saturday published photos of two men it had arrested for impersonating its members and robbing citizens in south Khartoum’s Azhari neighbourhood. The force stated it handed the suspects over to army intelligence for legal action, stressing it was not the first time its identity had been co-opted.
The persistent insecurity and lack of basic services have made many Sudanese hesitant to return to their homes in the capital. The number of returnees to Khartoum remains low compared to the neighbouring Al Jazirah state.
