At least 24 dead in Port Sudan heatwave as authorities open cooling centres
August 3, 2025 (PORT SUDAN) – Authorities in Port Sudan are opening emergency cooling centres to combat a deadly heatwave that has killed at least 24 people and caused scores of heatstroke cases in Sudan’s sweltering acting capital, a health official said on Sunday.
The number of heatstroke cases has risen to 155, including the 24 deaths, as of Saturday, Health Ministry Director-General Ahlam Abdel Rasoul told Sudan Tribune.
“A cooling centre has been activated in the Grand Market that works to cool down heatstroke cases until they are transferred by ambulance,” she said, adding that more centres were being set up, including for dockworkers.
The crisis has been exacerbated by near-continuous power outages for the past three weeks in the overcrowded Red Sea city, making daily life unbearable as temperatures soar. Residents have complained to Sudan Tribune about the lengthy blackouts and are demanding a permanent solution from authorities.
Last week, authorities began spraying streets with water in an attempt to lower temperatures.
Port Sudan, known for its extreme summer heat, has served as Sudan’s administrative centre and a refuge for many displaced by the conflict since widespread destruction befell the capital, Khartoum.
