UAE bans Sudanese airlines amid heightened political tensions
August 6, 2025 (PORT SUDAN) – The United Arab Emirates on Wednesday banned Sudanese airlines from its airports, aviation industry employees said, a move that comes amid deep political tensions between the two countries.
Employees at Sudanese airlines Badr and Tarco, who requested anonymity as they were not authorized to speak to the press, said UAE civil aviation authorities had prohibited their flights to and from Dubai and Sharjah without providing a reason. The decision caused immediate confusion at Port Sudan airport, they told Sudan Tribune, as it was issued after passengers on a Tarco flight had already completed their departure procedures.
Sudan’s Civil Aviation Authority (SCAA) later confirmed the move in a statement, saying it was “surprised” by the decision to ban Sudanese carriers from landing and to prevent one flight from departing Abu Dhabi. The SCAA added that it is coordinating with the relevant authorities and airlines to reschedule affected passengers.
The flight ban marks a significant escalation in the deteriorating relationship between Khartoum and Abu Dhabi. Sudan’s army has repeatedly accused the UAE of providing logistical support to the rival Rapid Support Forces (RSF), with whom it has been engaged in conflict since April 2023.
In May, Sudan’s Security and Defence Council announced it was severing diplomatic ties with the UAE and declared it a “state of aggression.” The UAE has consistently denied the accusations.
Despite the formal severing of ties three months ago, some connections have remained. The Sudanese consulate in Abu Dhabi recently reopened to serve Sudanese residents, and Sudanese gold exports have continued to flow to the UAE.
