Thursday, August 20, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

Sudan state agency says RSF killed bureau chief, abducted journalists

Taj al-Sir Mohamed Suleiman, Bureau Chief of the Sudan News Agency (SUNA) in El Fasher

Taj al-Sir Mohamed Suleiman, Bureau Chief of the Sudan News Agency (SUNA) in El Fasher

November 28, 2025 (PORT SUDAN) – The Sudan News Agency (SUNA) said on Friday that the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) killed its bureau chief in North Darfur and his brother at their home in El Fasher.

Separately, Information Minister Khalid Aleisir accused the paramilitary group of detaining several journalists in the city and forcibly transferring them to Nyala in South Darfur.

SUNA identified the journalist as Taj al-Sir Mohamed Suleiman. The agency said he and his brother were shot dead in the city’s First Class neighbourhood.

Suleiman had been missing since the RSF seized control of El Fasher on October 26. His family received confirmation of the deaths earlier this week, the agency reported.

Since capturing the city, the RSF has been accused of widespread abuses against civilians, officials, and aid workers. The force has also imposed a media blackout, confiscating Starlink satellite internet devices to cut off communications.

Aleisir called on international organisations to protect media workers, citing the detention of Moammer Ibrahim, a collaborator with Al Jazeera.

Ibrahim was detained while attempting to flee El Fasher and transferred to Nyala. He faces accusations of defamation for describing the RSF as a militia and bias in his coverage of the war.

Four other journalists—Magdi Yousef, Mohamed Hussein Shalabi, Atta Mohamed, and Ismail Mohamed Ahmed—remain missing since the RSF takeover of the city.