Thursday, August 20, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

Over 850 foreign mercenaries backing Sudan’s RSF, military sources say

An image from a video released by the Sudanese army on Aug. 3, 2025, allegedly shows Colombian mercenaries training inside the Zamzam camp.

An image from a video released by the Sudanese army on Aug. 3, 2025, allegedly shows Colombian mercenaries training inside the Zamzam camp.

April 5, 2026 (KHARTOUM) — More than 850 foreign nationals are fighting alongside the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in Sudan’s ongoing civil war, according to military sources, highlighting a growing reliance on international private contractors and regional militias.

The influx of foreign expertise follows a January United Nations Security Council report warning that Sudan has evolved from a domestic battlefield into a “logistical hub” for armed groups, threatening to destabilize the broader Sahel and East Africa regions.

Military sources told *Sudan Tribune* that the foreign contingent is split between professional “tier-one” mercenaries—including former regular soldiers and technical specialists—and a larger group of irregular tribal fighters from neighbouring countries who join the fray through traditional mobilization networks known as al-Faza.

The “Desert Wolves” and Colombian expertise

An investigation into the RSF’s command structure reveals a specific reliance on Latin American personnel for high-tech warfare. A former assistant to the commander of Sudan’s Ground Forces, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Colombian contractors are primarily tasked with operating unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), advanced artillery systems, and managing flight logistics at RSF-held airfields.

Military intelligence units have reportedly intercepted radio communications in Spanish and Portuguese. These sources identified a “Colombian Battalion” locally nicknamed the “Desert Wolves,” composed largely of former members of Colombia’s security forces.

Intelligence tracking previously identified a former Colombian army colonel, Jose Santiago—known by the call sign “Tiger”—as the head of an RSF combat control centre. Santiago reportedly managed operations until late last year before his trail went cold in the Darfur region.

The Colombian presidency confirmed in an official statement that at least 40 of its nationals were killed in 2025 during airstrikes on Nyala airport and other strategic sites in Darfur.

Russian influence and gold

The RSF’s use of foreign experts predates the current conflict. Before the war erupted in April 2023, Russian specialists were embedded within the RSF’s infrastructure, particularly in the gold mining sector, where they operated under the guise of civilian companies.

Russian personnel also provided technical support for the RSF’s communications and media apparatus, previously headquartered in the “RSF Tower” near the military’s General Command in Khartoum. Sources suggest Russian contractors may still be managing high-level combat control centres in the western regions.

The logistical “transit” network

According to UN expert reports (S/2025/555), the movement of these fighters relies on a sophisticated “transit” network. Mercenaries are frequently flown to Bosaso, Somalia, and then to Benghazi, Libya, before being moved across the Chadian or Libyan borders into Sudan.

Satellite imagery from late 2025 and early 2026 has detected a surge in unidentified cargo flights at remote airstrips in Darfur. These flights are believed to be the primary artery for both personnel and advanced weaponry supplied through regional intermediaries.

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) noted in 2026 that Sudan’s porous western borders have become a two-way street for instability. Militants from Chad, Niger, and Mali now use RSF-controlled territory as a safe haven to re-equip and recruit before returning to conflicts in their home countries.