Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

Sudan reassures Egypt on Northern State security amid ongoing RSF drone attacks

General al-Burhan meet sthe heda of the Egyptian security service on April 8, 2025 - Sovereign Council photo

General al-Burhan meet sthe heda of the Egyptian security service on April 8, 2025 - Sovereign Council photo

April 9, 2025 (PORT SUDAN) – Sudan has assured Egypt regarding the security of its Northern State following days of continuous drone attacks launched by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), informed sources told Sudan Tribune on Wednesday.

Drones equipped with mortar shells have attacked multiple targets in the Northern State for several days. The attacks follow threats made days earlier by RSF deputy commander Abdel Rahim Daglo to target the state, which borders Egypt.

Dongola, Merowe, and Al-Dabbah in the Northern State have faced near-continuous drone attacks over the past three days.

According to the sources, Sudanese army chief General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan conveyed the assurances regarding the security of the Northern State and the border to Egyptian Intelligence Director Hassan Mahmoud Rashad, who visited Port Sudan on Tuesday.

During the meeting, Rashad expressed Egypt’s concern over the escalating attacks in the border state and affirmed the support of Egyptian security agencies for their Sudanese counterparts, the sources added.

Rashad also met with al-Burhan, who is the President of the Sovereign Council, to discuss ways to restore stability and joint efforts to end the war while preserving Sudan’s safety and unity.

The Egyptian official also delivered a verbal message to al-Burhan from Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi. According to a statement from the Sudanese Sovereign Council, the message concerned bilateral relations and “ways to support and develop them and enhance joint cooperation between the two countries in all fields. ”

Egypt is increasingly seen as backing Sudan’s army in its war against the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) following the start of the crisis, analysts say. The RSF faces accusations that it receives external support from regional actors.

In a joint press conference with visiting French President Emmanuel Macron, President Sisi stated they discussed the situation in Sudan and developments in the Sahel and Horn of Africa regions.

“We agreed on the need for stronger collaboration to bolster security and stability within these regions, thereby fulfilling the aspirations of their states and peoples for a more stable and prosperous future”.

Separately, the sources disclosed that a high-ranking Sudanese security official briefly visited an unnamed neighbouring country last week. The visit aimed to discuss the movements of the RSF and the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) within that country’s borders.

The official delivered a message from al-Burhan to that country’s leader regarding bilateral relations and the urgent matter of the armed groups’ movements, the sources said.

Relations between Sudan and some neighbouring countries remain tense following accusations by Assistant Commander-in-Chief Yasser Al-Atta that they are aiding and supporting the RSF.