UN warns of deepening humanitarian crisis in Sudan amid funding cuts
March 10, 2025 (UNITED NATIONS) – The United Nations on Monday warned of a worsening humanitarian crisis in Sudan, citing escalating violence, disease outbreaks, and a severe funding shortfall that threatens aid for millions.
Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric said violence, particularly in North Darfur state, continues to displace thousands. Last week, over 23,000 people fled their homes in the Dar As Salam locality, south of the state capital, El Fasher, due to rising insecurity.
“The situation on the ground in Sudan continues to worsen,” Dujarric told reporters at a daily briefing.
The U.N.’s Humanitarian and Resident Coordinator in Sudan, Clementine Nkweta-Salami, expressed “deep concern” over recent funding reductions and suspensions by major government donors. These cuts come as famine spreads and over half the population faces hunger, Dujarric said.
Disease outbreaks are further compounding the crisis. In White Nile state, a cholera outbreak in Kosti locality has killed 94 people and infected hundreds between Feb. 20 and March 5. The outbreak is linked to contaminated water sources, particularly the White Nile River, after power outages disrupted the town’s water supply. UNICEF warned that over 290,000 children in Kosti are at risk.
In Kassala state, eastern Sudan, a hepatitis outbreak is spreading among displaced communities living in overcrowded conditions, attributed to poor sanitation and limited health awareness.
Nkweta-Salami urged major donors to reconsider their funding cuts and appealed for others to increase contributions to “help fill the gaps.”
“These cuts come at the worst possible moment for Sudan,” the U.N. said.
Last year, humanitarian donors provided $1.8 billion for Sudan’s humanitarian response plan, assisting at least 15.6 million people. This year, $4.2 billion is needed, but only 6% of the required funding has been received, according to the U.N. This funding is intended to support nearly 21 million people.
