Sudan locality moves 500 remains from Omdurman homes to cemeteries
February 7, 2026 (KHARTOUM) – The Karari locality in Omdurman, Khartoum state, announced on Saturday it is continuing to transfer human remains from private homes to cemeteries under the supervision of forensic officials.
Residents in Khartoum were forced during the conflict to bury relatives who died naturally or were killed in fighting and shelling inside houses and public squares because burial services were disrupted and cemeteries were inaccessible.
The Karari locality, in a statement, said it had moved 500 sets of remains from outside homes in the Al-Thawrat district and reburied them at the Al-Jarafa cemetery.
The transfer was supervised by the Khartoum State Forensic Medicine Authority. The process was attended by the families of the deceased, Karari executive director Ahmed Mustafa Ali, and representatives from the police and security services.
Local authorities said moving the remains is part of a plan to normalize life and restore public health standards after the war. Officials added that the relocation of unidentified remains would continue on Sunday.
The Khartoum state health ministry’s Forensic Medicine Authority previously reported that it had collected and moved approximately 15,000 bodies from residential areas and schools between April 2024 and December 2025.
The authority aims to declare the state free of bodies buried outside of official graveyards by the middle of 2026.
