Thursday, August 20, 2026

Sudan Tribune

Plural news and views on Sudan

Khartoum reopens 15 dialysis centres as patient numbers rise

Sudanese patients suffering from kidney failure, undergo a dialysis treatment at the Soba Hospital in southern Khartoum on June 3, 2023, AFP photo

Sudanese patients suffering from kidney failure, undergo a dialysis treatment at the Soba Hospital in southern Khartoum on June 3, 2023, AFP photo

February 23, 2026 (KHARTOUM) – Khartoum’s health ministry on Monday announced the reopening of 15 dialysis centres across the state as it struggles to accommodate a sharp increase in patients requiring treatment amid the ongoing conflict.

Authorities are working to restore health facilities damaged by the war as part of a state-led reconstruction plan.

Nizar Osman, director of Khartoum’s kidney centres, said in a statement that 15 facilities had been brought back online to restore medical services in the state.

Following a meeting with the ministry’s director-general, Osman reported that the operating centres treated 957 patients in permanent dialysis programs and 1,188 routine cases during January. He added that 178 machines are currently operational, alongside services for 292 emergency cases.

Osman noted that 374 kidney transplant recipients and 58 patients with immune-related complications are receiving care. He said the administration is working to secure additional medical staff and supplies to meet the growing patient numbers.

Fath al-Rahman Mohamed al-Amin, the Director-General of Khartoum’s health ministry, has ordered the state electricity corporation to provide “hotline” power connections to centres experiencing power supply instability.

Al-Amin also authorized financial payments for staff responsible for transporting and unloading medical supplies to ensure the continuity of the distribution chain.

National health ministry estimates suggest about 8,000 people in Sudan suffer from kidney failure, requiring approximately 70,000 dialysis sessions per month.

The healthcare system has been devastated by the war, which erupted in April 2023. About 37% of the country’s health facilities are out of service, while 63% are only partially functional, according to a U.N. report released on February 4.